Monday, July 21, 2008

Roadtrip!

I had an amazing weekend! On Saturday, I had been in Louisiana for one month and it was also the first time I used my own dishes. I know it's crazy, but it took me a month to fully unload my car, unpack, and get settled in…I have just been so busy with work, ect. Anyway, I can't believe I've already been here a month. The time has just flown by!

On Saturday I also got to go on a road trip with the Davis's. They picked me up and we drove to Houston. We left bright and early at 6:30 am. Heading north to Lafayette, to get to I-10, we had the full moon setting in the west and the sun rising in the east. The site took my breath away! It was such a nice drive-the weather was perfect, the scenery was beautiful, and I got to spend more time with my friend Stephanie and her husband, Jared, and their daughter, Rosie. Rosie was so excited because we saw a hot air balloon go over us! It was neat because I recognized all the parishes we drove through (from doing interlibrary loans with all of them in the state). While driving, we listen to a book-on-CD, Louis L'Amour's Treasure Mountain, which is set in New Orleans. And again, I recognized the places and things he talks about and I thought it was so cool!

It took four hours to get to Houston and we were on planning going to the Church Distribution Center to get supplies but it was closed! Come to find out that the temple was closed for maintenance and the distribution center is always closed at the same time. But, we stopped anyway, so I could take some pictures. I have never seen the Houston Temple before and it looks like a castle! It's in a gorgeous neighbor with some the most beautiful houses I have ever seen. We also stopped by Nauvoo Books and looked around (we don’t have an LDS bookstore by our temple in Baton Rouge) and I got a picture of Pres. Monson.

Jared and Stephanie try to get to Houston once a year and whenever they're there, they go eat at Red Lobster. That is Jared's favorite place and there isn't one where we live. Now, I'm not big on seafood…I'll eat fish, but that’s about it. However, Stephanie convinced me to try her food. I had a scallop (it was okay), lobster (didn't like it, too rubbery for me), and crab (which, surprisingly I really liked!) So, another new experience under my belt!

Finally, we went to IKEA. Now, there is an IKEA that opened in Utah last year and I had seen the commercials for it (which I love-they tell a continuing story), but I have never been to one. WOW! What an adventure! Any of you that have been to one knows what I’m talking about…The whole place is set up like rooms in your house and you just go around and try things out. Then, if you find something you want, you jot down the item and, when you get to the end of the store, there is a big warehouse room divided into sections and you find the item you want and pay for it. We spent hours in there. It's huge and they even have their own restaurant and playground for the kids. But, my very favorite thing wasn't even in the store. When, you come from the parking lot, there is a yellow IKEA love bug sitting on the sidewalk. It just made me smile and I wish I had had my camera!

We left Houston around 5 pm and pulled into New Iberia at 9 o’clock. Home sweet home (and it really is starting to feel that way!) It was such a fun day. Thanks to the Davis's for inviting me along!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

That does sound like a very eventful and fun day!! The Houston temple looks very pretty. I'm glad Louisiana is starting to feel like home. It's so exciting for you!

Anderson Avenue said...

Looks like you had a busy, fun day!! I love the picture of the temple it is so beautiful!