Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy 4th of July!



What a week! Work was busy, but good. I was grateful to have a day off though. I had a fun-filled 4th of July. Gail, a lady from the library invited me to her house for a Bar-BQ.

So, I took a beautiful drive out to Jeanette, a town 20 minutes east of New Iberia. Known as the Sugar City (and you know why once you pass all the sugar cane fields!), Jeanerette sits along the southern bank of the Bayou Teche. I pulled up to their house and the view took my breath away! The Bayou runs right in front of their house and you can sit on the porch and watch the water flow by. The yard is full of big oak trees and along the Bayou are Cypress trees.






Gail and her husband live in an old house that was built around 1910, with hardwood floors and big, tall ceilings, it is beautiful! Each room is painted a different color. Gail’s side of the family is Italian, and in her kitchen, above the window’s she has a saying, which means “Friends are the Spice of Life.”




They have a pool and a pool house. We had lunch in the pool house. It was so much fun. All of Gail’s family was there, along with Donovan’s brother and his family. I felt like I was at one of my Family Reunions! We ate and talked for hours.




Finally, I went back to New Iberia to the Bouligny Plaza on Main St. There I watched the Louisiana Kids perform.






Then, I watched the Parade on Main St.





Mayor Curry






Finally, they had a Patriotic Ceremony at the Gazebo, where the Mayor spoke and they did a reenactment of a Civic War drill.

They were having fireworks over the Bayou Teche, but I didn't stay long enough to see them.
I hope you all had a wonderful, relaxing 4th of July!
Lonnie

1 comment:

Anderson Avenue said...

Wow! Looks like you have been a busy lady! The pictures are beautiful!! Looks like a lot of fun.