Monday, December 8, 2008

Happy Holidays!

The holidays are in full swing! Thanksgiving was great! I made sweet potatoes and stuffing and then went and spent the day at the Davis'. Elyse called. She had just gotten home from the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade and she saw David Archuleta! Elyse also went downtown the night before and watched them blow up the balloons. She was right in front of the new Smurf and Kermit the Frog was singing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas."





Anyway, the weather was absolutely perfect, with the sun shinning a a nice gentle breeze ( I was actually hot in my long-sleeve shirt!)

I found out that the Davis" Family combine all of the Berrett's traditions into one holiday! First, Jared and Rosie made sugar cookies, which they do together every year (the Berrett's do that at Halloween). Then, they go around and say what they're thankful for (which the Berrett's also do at Thanksgiving). Next, the Davis' turn on Christmas music during dinner (which the Berrett's do Christmas morning while opening presents). Finally, the Davis' had sparking apple cider and white grape juice (you know, the nonalcoholic "bubbly" that we always have on New Year’s Eve?)

Sunday, I went and spent the afternoon at the Cotton's. I snacked on leftover turkey that Mike had made and it was yummy! He injected it with Creole Butter and then fried it…I've never tasted anything so good (and I’m not even a fan of turkey!)

I was surprised when we closed early on Monday. It turned out that the city was doing the annual tree lighting ceremony at the civic center next door and then having the Christmas Parade. If I had known about it, I would have stayed and watched it!

Tuesday night, we had a Primary Appreciation Dinner for the teachers. I picked up Lisa, one of the teachers, and we were going to the Primary President's house. Well, I had never been to Sherri's house, and I got lost and ended up out in the middle of the sugar cane fields! After calling and getting directions, I finally got Lisa there in time for dessert.

The next night, Sherri had a Cookie Exchange Party. This time I didn't get lost and we got there on time! It was fun…everyone made their favorite cookies and then brought the recipe to share. There were about 30 or 40 people there. I made pumpkin chocolate chip cookies and passed them out.


Wednesday was also Rosie's 5th Birthday, so I stopped by on the way home to give her a present. She had gotten a hair cut for her birthday and they went to Chuck E. Cheese for dinner. On Saturday, I went and helped Stephanie with Rosie's Birthday Party. It was crazy chaos with a bunch of little kids running around, but it was fun. Stephanie has a bunch of Christmas crafts for them to make.

Saturday I also had a date and Garth took me to a cool restaurant called The Blue Dog Café. It was dark and relaxing inside, with just a few lamps and a stone fireplace in the middle. There is pop art on the walls (done by the owner). Most of the paintings are are blue dogs (of course!) I was excited when we were led to the table right next to the fireplace. I was even more excited to discover that the tables are all covered in butcher paper and they have a jar of crayons, so you can draw.

'Til next week...
Lonnie

P.S. I had more pictures to share, but the upload button has failed, of course!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Sounds like an awesome Thanksgiving! That picture of you and the tree is really pretty.