Friday, June 25, 2010

Day in the Swamp

It's only taken me two years, but last Saturday, I finally went into the swamp! Grandpa Bill and I went out on the Atchafalaya Basin in his boat. We launched at Bayou Benoit and went up the G-A Cut, passed house boats and fishermen.

It was a gorgeous day and we saw a lot of snowy egrets.

...and blue dragonflies.
We then turned into Buffalo Cove Canal. The cove is a beautiful spot with cypress trees and lily pads (?) so thick, you couldn't get through them. It was neat to see the guys with their crawfish cages. (Too bad I didn't get any pictures of those!)


On our way back down the G-A Cut we found a narrow water way, that led back to a Lake (I can't remember the name of it). The water looked almost blue.
Bill pulled into an inlet to show me an old oil drill and we ran into an alligator. We spent a few minutes following it, so I could get a picture.
It was fun! (Racing dowing the bayou, I felt like I was flying :-)

No comments: