Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Getting Back to Normal

Note: The following was written last Friday. However, we haven't had Internet available until today, so I haven't been able to post.

On Wednesday, after Gustav, Louisiana got pounded by thunderstorms and tornadoes. There was a tornado just northwest of us, where 2 people were killed. We had to check out of the hotel by 11am, so we drove to Opelousas to get Bill’s RV to stay in Wednesday night. Opelousas was bad-they had trees down everywhere… and right after we left they had a tornado! We were lucky...At 12pm Wednesday, Iberia Parish said that people could return home if they were self-reliant. We got to New Iberia around 12:30 and what a difference a day makes! On Tuesday, the water was up to Stephanie’s knee (12 to 20 inches) and by the time we got there Wednesday, the flood had receded off of the roads. Luck stayed with us as we discovered that both the Davis family and I had power (half of the city is still without power though). At my apartment the carpet by the front door was wet and I had two huge water spots on my ceiling where the rain started coming through the roof…however, it wasn't leaking, so that’s good.



Thursday I got my belated day off…The library was still closed, so I spent the morning cleaning my apartment (including sweeping up all the debris on my stairs and porch). Then, I relaxed for a while and finished reading Breaking Dawn…I loved the ending! After lunch, I went to Stephanie's to help them unpack and clean their house (Jared's mom and sister were flying in on Friday from Utah for a visit!)


Friday, it was back to work. Some of the Branches still didn't have power, but Main did, so we were open to the public. We still didn't have Internet though, so I couldn't do much.

Now, we’re just keeping an eye on Ike…

P.S. It's now Wed., Sept.10th, and it looks like Ike is headed to Texas, so the worst we'll get is a heavy rain storm.

Things are slowly returning to normal. The grocery store shelves are still pretty bare and it's hard to find a fast food restaurant that actually has food, but trucks should be coming into the city soon.

Lonnie

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Wow, what a mess! I've been thinking about you and I am relieved to read that you are okay!

And you finished Breaking Dawn? Aaah, maybe we'll have to talk. I LOVED LOVED LOVED it (particularly the ending!!) You should now go to the book blog (http://booksrockoursocks.blogspot.com/) when you have time, of course, and read all the thoughts there. The first post was by me on Sunday August 3rd so you'll have to scroll down to the bottom of the blog to read it. Then you can work your way up to the top. I'm so glad you liked it! And I'm so glad you're okay and things are getting back to normal for you.