Sunday, August 31, 2008

Greetings from Hurricane Central!

It's amazing how life changes in one week. Oh, where to begin…as you have all heard by now, Hurricane Gustav is coming to Louisiana. I found out Wednesday at work, so that night I pulled my 72 hour kit out and went through everything to see what I had.

Work was quiet on Thursday (everybody was getting ready for the storm). I ran to the store afterward to get some more water and batteries. The shelves were already pretty bare. I packed a suitcase of clothes, then I packed my car, finally, I packed up stuff in my apartment. I took a break and Grandpa Bill took to me to eat my first Po-Boy sandwich at Bon Creole. It was a nice bit of normalcy during a time of uncertainty. I loved the Po-Boy (almost as good as the sandwiches from The Italian Place in Logan!) Daddy you would have loved this place…Inside, there is a wall and it looked like we were in a log cabin and there are deer and animal heads, etc. After dinner, we went and found a gas station that still had regular gas (a lot a gas stations were already running out and closing down) and I filled up my car.

Friday, I got everything taken care of at work-I cleared off my desk and packed everything away. I unplugged everything, got everything off the floor and covered the computer, phone, printer…(I decided it's very nice of Gustav to come on a Holiday Weekend, because I don't have to worry about work Monday!)
My Work and Apartment Complex Boarded Up

Saturday morning I locked up my apartment and left at 9am, praying that I would have a place to come home to when this is all over. I put air in my tires and then went to Stephanie and Jared’s to help them pack. I helped fill emergency water containers, ect. I had practically nothing in my car, so I told Stephanie that they could put whatever they needed in it (Stephanie usually has a van, but it's in the shop and she’s been driving a little Toyota and there's no space). So, we made a caravan-Jared had a generator in the back of his truck, Stephanie had all the food in her car, I had all the suitcases of clothes in my car) At 4pm, they had a mandatory evacuation for everyone south of 192, which is half way between New Iberia and Lafayette. We didn't get out until 5:30 pm and as soon as we got on I-90, traffic was bumper to bumper. It took 2 hours to get to Lafayette, which is normally only a 30-minute drive.

We had planned on going up to Alexandria, to the Stake Center. However, Jared's work called and said they would put him up at the Hampton Suite Hotel because they want him close to work (he works for PHI, flying helicopters out to the oil riges). I was so relieved when I heard we were only going to Lafayette. I wasn't looking forward to having to drive (I was afraid I would lose Stephanie and get lost). And if I have to go through a Hurricane, then this is nice place to ride out a storm! Instead of camping out on the floor, we have a nice room with a mini-fridge and a microwave (so, as long as we have power we can eat real food) and a shower and beds…I've never been more comfortable! God is gracious and merciful! That He is watching over and protecting me, I don’t have a doubt.
Home Away From Home

Today, we ran to the store to get a few more groceries. We went to Winn Dixie because practically everything else is shut down (It strange to see Wal-Mart, which is usually open 24/7, closed and boarded up and the parking lot empty…kind of erie.)

Gustav is suppose to make landfall tomorrow. Right now it's a Category 3 with winds up to 115 mph.

I love you all and I’ll keep in touch as long as we have power.

I love you, I love you, I love you!!!!!!!

Lonnie (and Miss Rosie)

No comments: