Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Tedi's Visit Down South

Tedi came down to visit me a couple of weeks ago, and I took a couple of days off to show her around. We did a little sight seeing during the day, and hung out in the evenings watching movies, exercising in the apartment's fitness center, and swimming in the pool (I've been here for 2 years and this was the first time I've swam in my pool!)

Anyway, I picked her up from the airport Wed. night and took her to my favorite Thai Restaurant, Pimon Thai. Poor Tedi ordered her food "Hot" and it turned out to be too spicy to eat!


We got up early Thurs. morning and drove to New Orleans (which is about 2 1/2 hours east of where I live). We took turns driving, but I made Tedi drive once we were in the city. We only went the wrong direction on a one-way street once, so I think we did pretty well for the first time being there! We went to the French Quarter and walked around Jackson Square, went into St. Louis Cathedral, and took a carriage ride tour of the Quarters. Then we wandered around the shops and walked along the levee, before having lunch at The Market Cafe. We listened to a live Jazz Band play while eating Muffulettas, a New Orleans sandwich. Finally, we went to Cafe Du Monde, so Tedi could have biegnets Yummy! Friday, we stayed around New Iberia. I took Tedi to the library to show her where I work and then we walked along Main St. so she could see all the beautiful old houses. We did a tour of Shadows-on-the-Teche (I learn something new every time I go there). Next we go Po-boys from Bon Creole's, before driving out to Avery Island, to the Tabasco Factory. (she was excited to find Tabasco salt). Finally we drove to Delcambre to see the shrimp boats. Tedi liked the houses on stilts.

Saturday, I had to go to Baton Rouge for Seminary Training. Tedi came with me and hung out until I was finished. Then, we took a drive down Highland, past all the mansions (I wish I had taken some pictures!) and then wandered down Perkins Row (an outdoor strip of trendy shops and restaurants). It was finally. We stopped and got ice cream at Hershey's Ice Cream Hollywood, before driving home.
Sunday was quiet. We went to Church and watched a "Tru Calling" marathon. This was the first vacation I've had this year and it was nice and relaxing. Thanks Ted!

I've uploaded more pictures on my Facebook account, and Tedi has a whole bunch, too.

1 comment:

Deliliah said...

Sounds like you keep busy. I'm glad your father and sister were able to visit you. I talked to Tedi a few weeks ago when she came into the library. she said your folks had moved and told me where. I'm happy for them. How proud you must be for your Seminary gradutates. They were lucky to have you for their teacher. Your library "Splish Splash kick off looked like fun. Happy belated Birthday. Take care. Come visit us again.